2016 Presidential Election: Tuesday, November 8, 2016
Virginia Voter Registration Guidelines
FIRST STEP: Register to Vote. Verify.
If you need to register:
Qualifications for voter registration: US Citizen, resident of Virginia, and 18 years old on or before November 8, 2016.
Students living on the Mason campus: You may register to vote from your campus address. You will need to change this voting address when you move. ONLY students registered at a campus address may vote at the University Precinct located at Merten Hall on the Mason campus. All other Mason students and faculty must vote at their registered home precincts.
Voter Registration Deadline: Monday, October 17th, 5:00pm, by mail or in person, or online at vote.virginia.gov by 11:59 pm, Monday, October 17th.
Required Photo ID: Photo ID is required to vote, your George Mason Student Photo ID is welcomed on Election Day.
Online: You may submit your registration and absentee ballot requests online only, if you have a Virginia DMV record:
- If you have a Virginia driver’s license, you can register on line. Go to: vote.virginia.gov and click the “Register” button. It takes about 2 minutes to register online, if you have your Virginia driver’s license number. The last day to register online to be eligible to vote in the Presidential Election is 5:00pm by mail or in person, or online by 11:59pm on Monday, October 17, 2016.
- If you don’t have a Virginia driver’s license, go to vote.virginia.gov to fill in the registration form, print it, sign it, and send it to the Department of Elections by mail. Your form must be received by 5pm October 17, 2016.
NOTE for on-campus students: Use your HUB mailing address at 4450 Rivanna River Way, PMB #, Fairfax, VA 22030 as your residence when filling out the form. This will allow you to vote at on-campus at Merten Hall for the Presidential Election.
If you have already registered:
Check your registration to see that it is current, find your polling location or update your registration online at vote.virginia.gov.
SECOND STEP: Vote! (Don’t forget your photo ID)
Mason has its own polling station for on-campus residents only so you don’t have to leave campus!
Vote in the Presidential Election on Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at Merten Hall (next to Panda Express).
Polls are open 6:00am thru 7:00pm.
Bring your George Mason University student ID. Only students who register with their on-campus/HUB mailroom address can vote at Merten Hall.
Living In Fairfax County:
VOTE IN PERSON ON ELECTION DAY: If you are a commuter and want to vote on Election Day, go to your designated polling station between 6:00am and 7:00pm on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. Find your polling station at vote.virginia.gov.
VOTE BY MAIL: We here at Mason Votes can think of only one reason to vote by mail – and that is if you are unable to leave your residence or will be out of the county on Election Day. Otherwise, everyone’s ballot is the same, regardless of your county of residence. Some students say they are “from” another state. But if you sleep at night in Virginia, then you qualify to vote in Virginia. Update your registration with your Virginia address so you can vote conveniently. Don’t forget to change your voter registration when you move at vote.virginia.gov!
VOTE EARLY: Since Election Day is on a Tuesday, vote early if you can so that voting does not interfere with your classes. You’ll avoid lines, and traffic will not be a problem.
Early voting during regular hours runs from September 23rd through October 14th: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm; Thursday: 8:00am to 7:00pm; or Saturdays between October 1st and November 5th from 9:00am to 5:00pm. (There is no early voting on Monday, October 10th, due to the Columbus Day holiday).
Vote early in person at the main Fairfax Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Rm 2/3.
Take advantage of Extended Early Voting Hours from October 17th through November 4th from 8:00am-8:00pm.
Or vote at any of these 9 satellite locations on weekdays from October 17th through November 4th from 2:00pm-8:00pm. Saturdays from October 1st through November 5th from 9:00am-5:00pm.
- Providence Community Center – 3001 Vaden Dr., Fairfax, 22031
- Franconia Governmental Center – 6121 Franconia Rd., Alexandria, 22310
- McLean Governmental Center – 1437 Balls Hill Rd., Community Room, McLean, 22101
- North County Governmental Center – 1801 Cameron Glen Dr., Community Rooms, Reston, 20190
- West Springfield Governmental Center – 6140 Rolling Rd., Springfield, 22152
- Mason Governmental Center – 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale, 22003
- Mount Vernon Governmental Center – 2511 Parkers Lane, Alexandria, 22306
- Sully District Governmental Center – 4900 Stonecroft Blvd., Chantilly, 20151
- SATURDAYS ONLY: Lorton Library – 9520 Richmond Hwy, Lorton, 22079
Off-campus Fairfax residents might qualify to vote early if they expect to leave the county for any reason on November 8th, including appointments, visits, vacations using Reason 1D. For a complete listing of qualifying reasons, go to: fairfaxcounty.gov/elections.
Living Outside Fairfax County:
Students qualify to vote early using Reason 1A, as they attend the Fairfax campus of GMU, but reside outside of Fairfax County.
Find out your early voting locations and times by going to your City/County’s website:
- City of Fairfax: http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/voter-registration/absentee-voting
- City of Alexandria: http://www.alexandriava.gov/elections/info/default.aspx?id=1720
- City of Falls Church: http://www.fallschurchva.gov/138/Absentee-Voting
- Arlington County: http://vote.arlingtonva.us/absentee
- Prince Williams County: http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/vote/Pages/Absentee-Voting.aspx
- Stafford County: http://www.stafford.va.us/index.aspx?nid=1282
- Loudon County: http://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=188
- Spotsylvania County: spotsylvania.va.us
- Fauquier County: http://www.fauquiercounty.gov/Government/Departments/registrar/index.cfm?action=absenteevoting
Absentee Voting in Person
If you live in Fairfax County, you may not be able to vote absentee for school only. Mason is located in Fairfax County. Learn more at vote.virginia.gov.
Absentee Voting by Mail
For the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on Absentee Voting, visit: elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/index.html
Qualifications: Registered voters in Virginia, away from your city or county of residence on Election Day, November 8th. Mason students living off campus in Fairfax County do not qualify to vote absentee, George Mason University is located in Fairfax County. Students living outside of the county may vote absentee.
Deadline: Applications must be received at the Office of Elections now, through 5:00pm on November 1st. Voted ballots must be received by Election Day, November 8th at 7:00pm. Last day to vote absentee in person will be Saturday, November 5th.
Can You Vote by Absentee Ballot?
Students with a permanent residence address within Virginia but outside Fairfax County: Yes! Vote absentee from your home address using the Absentee Ballot Application (reason 1A). Send the application to your city or county of residence. Ballot requests are accepted from NOW until November 1st at 5:00pm.
Students living off campus at a Fairfax County address: Register to vote at your Fairfax County residence address. On Election Day you will be voting at the polling location assigned to your residence address, NOT at the University polling location on Mason campus.
Students registered to vote at a Mason campus address: Yes! If you will be away on Election Day.
Students with a voter registration outside of Virginia: Not eligible, please vote in your home state. Check online for your states’ absentee ballot request form.